Decided on March 05,2010

GURDIP SINGH Respondents


- (1.)GURDIP Singh respondent No. 1 (in short "the respondent") was a Naib Sadar Kanungo in the office of the Deputy Commissioner, Jalandhar. He purchased a return travel ticket for visit to England from the appellants through Sangha Flight Centre respondent No. 2 who got the same from Arrow Enterprises, Jalandhar respondent No. 3.
(2.)IT was further pleaded that in pursuance thereof, the respondent boarded an Air India Flight No. 187V on 1.7.2006 from Amritsar to Birmingham in England as per the time schedule. He was to return to India by Flight No. 188V on 23.7.2006 leaving Birmingham at 10.30 (G.T.) reaching Amritsar (India) on the same day at about 11.30 (night). He was to resume his duties in the DC Office, Jalandhar on 25.7.2006 as his leave was sanctioned upto 24.7.2006.
(3.)IT was further pleaded that the respondent stayed in England with his relatives at Hadder Field. In order to catch the return flight journey, the respondent reached Birmingham to travel in flight No. 188V on 23.7.2006. After reaching Birmingham, the respondent came to know that the scheduled flight was cancelled and the passengers including the respondent were directed to wait for the next available return flight. No arrangement for stay, etc., was provided at Birmingham for the intervening period nor any facility for lodging and boarding or entertainment was made till the next flight. Therefore, the respondent had to go back Hadder Field to wait for the next intimation from the appellants for the next flight. The respondent started contacting the office of the appellants by spending huge money and suffered a lot of botheration in terms of physical inconvenience and mental harassment as he wanted to avail the first possible flight to resume his duties as he was bound to join the duties on 25.7.2006.
It was further pleaded that the respondent could get non -confirmed seat for 25.7.2006 (Tuesday) from Birmingham to Delhi leaving London in the early hours of 25.7.2006. The respondent reached London one day earlier by Taxi from Hadder Field on 24.7.2006 and stayed in a hotel at his own expenses and started waiting for the whole night for a probable seat in the flight leaving London in the early morning of 25.7.2006 and reaching Delhi at 11.30 p.m. (midnight). Luckily, he got seat and reached Delhi in the early morning of 26.7.2006. The respondent spent a sum of Rs. 3,500 as taxi charges for reaching Phillaur from Delhi and reached his village in the afternoon at about 2.30 p.m. on 26.7.2006.

Click here to view full judgement.
Copyright © Regent Computronics Pvt.Ltd.